UlcerGard ® (omeprazole) Paste for Horses
ULCERGARD is the only approved FDA product for the prevention of stomach ulcers in horses.
More than 60% of performance horses suffer from stomach ulcers. For many horses, the stress due to changes in routine, diet, and exercise regimens that come with confinement, training, travel and competition may cause more than a little discomfort - it may cause serious stomach ulcers, also known as Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome or EGUS.
The signs of stomach ulcers in horses, such as weight loss, altered eating behavior and recurrent colic, may often be mistaken for other conditions.
Now, you can actively prevent stomach ulcers and the pain and discomfort that often accompanies them by giving your horse ULCERGARD during times of increased stress or exercise.
ULCERGARD is easy to use, well accepted by horses, and it's the only non-prescription, FDA-approved equine ulcer preventive. ULCERGARD is available through your veterinarian.
All about ULCERGARD
* First and only non-prescription proven preventive for Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome.
* No other product is FDA-approved to prevent stomach ulcers in horses.
* The main ingredient in ULCERGARD - omeprazole - suppresses acid production in a horse's stomach.
* 1 mg/kg of omeprazole per day for 28 days effectively prevents the onset of ulcers in horses exposed to stressful conditions.
* Cinnamon-flavored oral paste is well accepted by horses.
* Once-a-day dosing is convenient to administer.
* Available to horse owners through their veterinarians.
* Each tube of ULCERGARD contains four preventive doses for horses weighing between 600 and 1,200 pounds.
* Two doses are recommended for horses weighing more than 1,200 pounds.
* 4 doses per tube
Using ULCERGARD for your horse
When to use ULCERGARD
ULCERGARD prevents ulcers in horses exposed to stressful conditions for a duration of 28 days. A daily dose of ULCERGARD should be administered to horses during times of excessive stress, including:
* Changes in Routine
* Limited or no turnout/grazing
* Inconsistent meal schedules
How to use ULCERGARD
Give a daily dose of ULCERGARD at 1 mg/kg (1/4 tube) on the back of the horse's tongue or deep in the cheek pouch. If any of the dose is lost or rejected, re-dosing is recommended.
Less than 600 lbs - Consult a veterinarian
600-1200 lbs - 1 dose (1/4 tube) per day
Over 1200 lbs - 2 doses (1/2 tube) per day